This week in Sticky (3)
Improving the mobile experience - on desktop
We're proud to have built a 'mobile-first' experience for the smartphone generation. Still, plenty of people use Facebook on their laptop and click-through to Stickyretail stores, and most of our customers build+test their Stickyretail store on desktop too. So we did some work to make Stickyretail stores look better no matter the device. The most noticeable change is the 'floating cart':
'360 degree' customer view
We show everything we know about your customer's "cross user sector" (the data we share between our customers, you):
Use this to get in direct contact with a customer to clarify their order or their address.
Build a contact form
You can now build a contact form in seconds.
Your contact form creates an event of type
MESSAGE, which emails you what was submitted. You can see these events in the dashboard.
Get social - share your applications or your store
Sharing applications and Stickyretail stores on social media is important to our customers. We made these links look better:
Next we'll make the preview show the name and logo of your application. More to follow.
Do you have a favourite hex triplet? Same here, but we're not like everyone else. We added a cute colour picker to the dashboard's application view:
You can still paste in your specific colour below the colour picker.
A simpler user experience for Stickyretail
We made the dashboard delightfully simple for Stickyretail users who'll never build applications. Tell us you want this when you sign up:
Don't email us; we'll email you
You are now sent an email when specific events happen, currently
MESSAGE. This work allowed us to further automate the refund process. There's now a refund button in the dashboard's payment view:
- We added warnings when your 'Successful payment' message includes a field that isn't covered by your 'Checkout questions', and when a product has 0 stock
- You can now add more 'virtual sticker's ('links') - just hit '+ Link'
- New stickers, applications and products now have nicer names like 'New sticker', instead of a raw ID number
- The default application code now uses 'Client logic', making it just that bit quicker to get started writing your application
- When you create an application, we now copy your user logo URL to the new application
- You can now buy stickers (and merch) on desktop
- You can now click the URL of an image/video in the product view to go to it
- We removed an application currency - it didn't do anything
- We improved the session (customer) list, showing you when the customer was last active
- We couldn't make it possible to checkout from 'truly custom' domains (*.sticky.to etc), so we gave you a fixed list of domains that work
- We now correctly pick up previous answers to 'cross user sector' questions (name/email etc on checkout), speeding up the checkout flow for customers checking out a second time
- Code in 'Client logic' and 'Routing logic' is syntax highlighted with HTML+embedded JS/CSS, not pure JS
- We fixed the endless 'spinning wheel' if you connected a product to a sticker, assigned a 'product' application to that sticker, deleted the product then visited the sticker's URL
- We now serve our SDK using gzip and enabled gzip on all plain text static files (speeding up all of your applications)
- We enabled HTTP2 on our load balancer allowing us to serve you more requests at once
- We set the right cache headers so your browser makes fewer requests to us
- We enabled HSTS so your browser doesn't try to connect to HTTP before redirecting to HTTPS - this is both a security and performance improvement
- We lazy load fonts, improving the visual load speed
These improvements make your applications load+feel faster and improve their search engine rank.